Show us your skills with a Nanosurf STM for a chance to win two Swiss luxury watches!
Nanosurf's Easyscan STM and NaioSTM are the most easy to use scanning tunneling microscopes ever. Primarily used in teaching environments, these instruments allow students to achieve atomic resolution in the short time available in a classroom setting. Now it is your turn to show the world how easy this is: make a video showing the steps from unboxing the instrument to showing atoms on your sample for a chance to win two Swiss luxury watches for your team.
Here's how to take part in the competition:
Capture your team's demonstration as per the rules below, upload your video to YouTube, and share it with your friends and colleagues. The most successful video on March 1st 2020 will be the winner. See below for the detailed rules and guidance.
Maximum length: 11 minutes (1 minute intro/outro, maximum of 10 minutes for preparation and measurement)
- Introduction of your team
- Cut wire for probe
- Place wire probe
- Cleave sample
- Place sample
- Measurement: film the measurement on-screen showing software until atoms are visible
ATTENTION: no cuts allowed in the video, so that the time limit for showing a measurement with atoms is clearly adhered to. Other edits (filters, captions, commentary, animations, picture in picture) are fine - be creative.
Note: The image showing atoms does not need to be complete, a few rows of atoms are sufficient.
How will the winner be determined?
On March 1st 2020, the video with the highest score will be declared the winner. The score is calculated by multiplying each video's views on YouTube with the number of "thumbs up" it has received by this date.
The winning team will be officially announced on this page, and notified by email.
Exclusions: Nanosurf employees may not participate. Only videos adhering to the above stated rules are eligible. The instrument used must be an STM manufactured by Nanosurf.
Instructions for uploading your video submission
- Upload your video to YouTube
- Make the video title: "Atoms in 10 minutes with a Nanosurf scanning tunneling microscope"
- Make the video description: "Nanosurf video competition "See atoms in 10 minutes with a Nanosurf scanning tunneling microscope" - by INSERT YOUR NAMES. Details about the instrument: www.nanosurf.com/naiostm"
- Tag the video with the following tags: Nanosurf, STM, scanning tunneling microscope, STM microscope
- For the video category choose: Science & Technology
- Send an email to [email protected] with the link to your video, your names and contact details, so we will be able to notify you if your turn out to be the winning team.
After the winning video has been determined on March 1st, we will contact you and you get to choose your team's watch models. No cash can be paid out.
Two Swiss luxury watches for your team. You get to choose between these two models:
- Women's model: https://www.longines.com/watches/conquest-classic/l2-386-4-52-6
- Men's model: https://www.longines.com/watches/conquest/l3-759-4-58-3